Dining Room Floor Update

MainOne of the first updates we tackled in our home was removing the ‘oh-so-seventies’ dining room carpeting.  We started the project thinking it would be as easy as pulling the carpet out and removing some track strips.  We were so wrong!  The carpeting had been glued or rather cemented to the beautiful hardwood floor beneath.

IMG_0898_editedRemoving the carpeting was fairly easy, but revealed the messy, challenging layer.  The grey carpet pad (as seen above) was fused to the floor such that it was extremely difficult to remove.  The first thing we did was scrape as much of the pad as we could with a medium putty knife.

IMG_0909_edited IMG_0897_editedI did some research to see how we could remove the glue from the floor.  A few articles and videos recommended using a wallpaper steamer, but they are a little pricey.  I thought maybe our handheld shark steamer might be perfect, and it was!  The small pointed attachment was the best to use.  We used the steam to melt the glue and then wiped it away with damp towels.  We used old rags because they quickly became saturated with the glue.

Hubby did most of the work with this step.  We would work on it for an hour or so after work and on weekends.  It took about a week to finish.  We will be sanding and refinishing the floor eventually as this process was definitely not gentle on the wood.  All of this work was so worth it though, and our floor looks amazing!

IMG_3224_edited

signature
Facebook/ Google+/ Instagram/ Linkedin/ Pinterest/ Twitter

Fun Frugal Family Command Center

I just finished one of many small projects that will be part of a series on our dining room décor and organization.  Check back soon as several posts are in the works.  I’ve pinned so many photos of lovely family command centers, and have wanted to create one for some time.  Looking back, there are a few things that I could have simplified, but I am extremely happy with the end result!

main

The frames used for this project were purchased at goodwill for about five dollars each.  If I were to do this again, I would have simply purchased cheap frames.  These are good quality frames, but I had to remove the art and paint them white.  The paint was a cheap simple white from Wal-Mart.

IMG_2582_edited

I masked off with painters tape before painting the frames with my favorite Purdy paint brush.  It took two paints to get a good finish.

IMG_2684_edited

I printed all of the inserts at home using Microsoft Word.  I can’t print larger than 8.5 by 11 so I had to cut and paste with the larger frames.  They turned out great!  I used washi to hide the seams and decorate the frame shown above.  The same tape was used on all the frame to contrast all the white.

IMG_2685_edited

I set the frames out on my dining room table before hanging them on the wall, so I could figure out the layout.  They were hung with picture hanging nails, but command strips would work as well.  I just wanted to use what I had.

The command center hangs on the wall to the right of our side door.  This is where we enter the home, so it fits perfectly.  It is going to be so useful for our family to help us keep appointments organized.  I also added a cleaning and meal planning section because we need this to keep us accountable.

I hope everyone is ready to enjoy one of our last weekends for this summer.  🙁 Talk to you soon!

signature
Facebook/ Google+/ Instagram/ Linkedin/ Pinterest/ Twitter